Who is Covered?

Independent Contractors

What Do You Need To Know? Before employers hire someone who is not an employee (an independent contractor, or IC), make sure the IC has an IC Exemption Certificate issued by the Montana Department of Labor and Industry or proof of workers’ compensation insurance. It is the employer's responsibility to determine that the IC has this documentation. Without it, policyholders may be held responsible for claims on injuries or occupational diseases, and for payment of premium on their wages. To learn more about IC regulations and Exemption Certificates, visit mtcontractor.com, or contact the Department of Labor and Industry at 406-444-7734.